|L to R: Tony, Ann, Shahid and Shanna Khan|
Born in Pakistani city of Lahore, 63 year old Shahid Khan is a mechanical engineer and a self-made billionaire who built his fortune as a top supplier of bumpers to the auto industry. Khan made history in 2011 by becoming the first non-white owner of a National Football League team when he bought Jacksonville Jaguars. Recently, he acquired an English soccer team Fullham for $300 million.
India West newspaper.
Desai, 60, who lives in Fisher Island, Fla., is in 252nd place with a $2.2 billion net worth. He was in 239th place in 2012.
Wadhwani, 66, has a net worth of $2.1 billion, good for 260th place on the Forbes list. The resident of Palo Alto, Calif., was listed 250th last year.
Shriram, 56, a resident of Menlo Park, Calif., and a managing partner of Sherpalo Ventures, is in 325th place with assets of $1.75 billion. He dropped from the 298th spot in 2012.
Khosla, whose Khosla Ventures continues to invest in green energy and other forward-looking technologies, is in 352nd place with a worth of $1.5 billion. The 58-year-old Sun Microsystems co-founder was 328th last year. He lives in Portola Valley, Calif.
Here are some of the highlights of Pakistani-American data from US Census 2010 as gleaned from a report titled "A Community of Contrasts Asian Americans in the United States: 2011" published by Asian-American Center For Advancing Justice:
1. There are 409,163 Pakistani-Americans in 2010, the 7th largest Asian-American community in America.
2. Pakistani-American population doubled from 2000 (204,309) to 2010 (409,163), the second largest percentage increase after Bangladeshis' 157% increase in the same period.
3. 6% of Pakistani-American population is mixed race.
4. 65% of Pakistanis in America are foreign-born. 57% of foreign-born Pakistani-American population is made up of naturalized citizens.
5. There are 120,000 Pakistani legal permanent residents of which 42% are eligible to naturalize.
6. There were 69,202 immigrant visas issued to Pakistanis from 2001 to 2010, the 5th highest among Asian nations.
7. 28% of Pakistanis have limited English proficiency.
8. Average per capita income of Pakistani-Americans is $24,663.00
9. 15% of Pakistanis are classified as poor; only 1% of them are on public assistance.
10. 8% of Pakistanis are unemployed, a figure lower than the general population of Americans.
11. 55% of Pakistanis own their own homes.
12. 55% of Pakistanis have a bachelor's degree or higher.
13. Median age of Pakistanis in America is only 29 years, lower than most of the Asian groups and the national median age of 36.8 years.
Pakistani-American community is the second fastest growing community in the United States, according to 2010 US Census. It is also a very young community with the median age of just 29 years, compared to 32 years for Indian-Americans and 37 years for all Asian-Americans. 34% of Pakistani-Americans are under the age of 17 compared with 26% of Indian-Americans and 24% of all Asian-Americans.
More of the Pakistanis in America are college educated than the general population of whites and various immigrant groups. The youthful energy and higher education levels of Pakistani-Americans are opening doors for them to rise and shine in America, in spite of the current economic difficulties in their adopted land of opportunities.
Here's a CBS 60 Minutes segment on Shahid Khan:
Here's a Forbes interview video of Shahid Khan on his path to success:
Pakistani-American NFL Team Owner
Silicon Valley Pakistani-American Wins Big in IPO
Pakistani-American in $500 Million Deal to Buy St. Louis Rams
Shahid Khan's $112 million Luxury Yacht
Edible Arrangements- A Pakistani-American's Success Story
Pakistani Diaspora World's 7th Largest
Pakistani-American's Game-Changing Vision
OPEN Forum 2010
Pakistani-American Elected Mayor
Huma Abedin Calm Amid Twittergate
Silicon Valley Summit of Pakistani Entrepreneurs
Pakistan's Multi-Billion Dollar IT Industry
Media and Telecom Sectors Growing in Pakistan
Pakistan's Middle Class Growth in 1999-2009
Social Entrepreneurs Target India, Pakistan